Tuesday, July 15, 2008

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND .... THE BUSINESS OF LANDLORDING

Well! I am becoming a firm believer in the saying, "Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug." And when that windshield hits you .... well, it just isn't pretty!

What is a landlord to do? You screen tenants, you make sure the property is maintained and that any issues are handled promptly. When there is a plumbing problem you call a plumber, an electrical issue - you call an electrician. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Well, for some that's not enough.

From day one these tenants have been told that they need to clean the lint and dirt from the grate over the floor drain in the basement. Each time I have gone down there the grate is laying across the room and the drain is full of junk. Each time I remind them of their obligation to leave the grate in place. Round and round and round we go...

With the recent heavy rains there was apparently a small amount of water that backed up in that basement. So I get an email telling me that "the basement flooded with the rain the other day and now our dryer motor is rusted..." "What can we do to solve this?"

My response? "Leave the grate over the drain and keep it cleaned off so the floor drain doesn't clog. Put the dryer up on bricks to protect it."

Next thing I know I'm getting notice that these tenants are moving out because they are having 'too much trouble' with the plumbing. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

They have called me 4 times in 18 months with issues regarding the plumbing. Each time they have called I immediately called Roto-Rooter and had them go out and take care of it. Each time it was always the same thing - floor drain clogged with lint, dirt and Hot Wheels cars. I never said a word - just reminded them to leave the grate on. IMO that was pretty level headed of me. I could have started charging them for the plumber's visits since it was always the same issue!

So now I am going to be left with an empty property. Hopefully I will have it rented before these folks move out. It's a really nice home and we have spent thousands of dollars maintaining it properly.

My dilemma is this: Why is it always some issue with the property that tenants use as an excuse to move? Why do they never seem to take responsibility and say, "If I had kept the drain grate on and cleaned like she said then this wouldn't have happened?"

I don't know. Perhaps some folks just need constant hand-holding. Even though they pass themselves off as adults.

Oh well ... life goes on.

Anyone want to rent a 1700 square foot house?

2 comments:

kateb said...

You need this like a hole in the head. I think they might just be young and immature? My stepdaughter needed a car after graduation and we gave her a used and very well maintained Mazda. It was a cute car and she really loved it.
We kept telling her to change the oil - we offered to do it ourselves at the house, teach her how to do it etc. She blew up the motor after not changing the oil for a really long time.
She cried and cried because she really loved the car - so we put a new motor in it. She SWORE to always change the oil.
I think we actually put three new motors in the car and refused on the fourth b/c she never did change the oil. We'd put a new motor in it and she'd drive it till it blew up.
Just immaturity. In the late teens, we forgot, that the brain synapses that constitute their inability to think of future consequences and relate them to the current decision making process makes EVERY BODY AROUND THEM MISERABLE,

Carol said...

I guess I just don't have the patience to raise another kid. Having none of my own I have raised way too many of other folks. It's tiring - and I'm too old to start over in that arena.