Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Controlling wildlife in an urban setting ...

In light of all the recent press about shootings, robberies, punks playing cop and the outstanding admission by our police chief that there is a gang problem in Toledo, OH, it is no wonder that many of us are scratching our heads over the recent shuffle of police operational policy. But hey - what do I know. I'm just a citizen.

A citizen that has told the powers-that-be that there has to be a better way to create a relationship between the citizenry and law enforcement so that these types of bone-headed maneuvers don't cause an even larger gap in public cooperation. But, alas, I have been banging my head against the wall for long enough. I'm throwing in the towel.

The recent shuffle will diminish response times (which are already horrible) and create yet another area that becomes fair game to those that are thieves, muggers and general idiots. So, the castle doctrine was signed just in time...

As I continue to pack boxes and sort through non-essential items, I am SO looking forward to moving away from here. And that's sad.

Are you ready to defend your self, your home and your possessions? 'Cause it might take a while for an officer to get there now - especially in West Toledo.

And as an aside ... this past weekend I had cause to dial 911. The phone rang 8 times and then a recording came on telling me that I had " reached the Toledo Police Department emergency line and all operators are busy. Please stay on the line and an operator will be with you ..." I waited 3 minutes. No operator. Don't think 3 minutes is long? Hold a phone to your ear for 3 minutes. Seems like an eternity.

But - I hung up. That was 3 days ago. To this day there has not been one person call me back and ask why I hung up on a 911 line. I guess that since nobody has reported me missing or dead that it's of no consequence.

Nice to know they care. Makes me truly skeptical that all this recent "reorganization" is going to make my world safer.

No comments: