Sunday, August 17, 2008

Social observations and doing what's right

While doing some shopping today at our local Menard's I got into a short conversation with some folks in the checkout line.

The reason for the conversation? I had forgotten to place a paintbrush on the checkout conveyor and realized it as I placed bags in the cart. I took the brush and ran back to the cashier and told her I had overlooked it in the cart. As I did this I also apologized to an older couple that was next in line and placing their things on the conveyor.

The gentleman said, "You must have been raised right."

I replied, "Yes sir, my mom would have fed me a patch of carpet if I tried to bring this home without paying for it."

The gentleman then said, "Well, I'm sure thankful that you restored my faith in the human race. Most folks would have just walked out the door and thought they got the paintbrush for free."

Now ... would people REALLY do that? Really?? Is that the kind of society we have become?

That's downright scary. Whatever happened to just naturally doing the right thing? To being honest? Are we such a greedy society that we are expected to take things without paying?

I sure hope not.

No comments: